Lisa DeVuono is a poet and workshop facilitator living in the Philadelphia area.
She is a co-founder of IT AIN’T PRETTY, a women’s writing collective
that performed in a variety of places including bookstores, cafes, and radio.
For ten years she worked as coach and mentor-trainer in the Artist Conference Network,
a nationwide coaching community for artists doing creative work.
She has facilitated creativity and poetry workshops at conferences, festivals, retreats, hospitals and business settings. Additional work has been with teenagers in recovery, cancer patients, and ALS patients and their families. She has also written a peer-based poetry curriculum "Poetry as a Tool for Recovery: A Guide in Eight Easy Steps, " for facilitating workshops with individuals living with mental health challenges.
She has produced several multi-media shows and CD release events. Her poetry has been published in several literary reviews, and her chapbook is entitled “Poems from the Playground of Risk.” Her newest publication "This Time Roots, Next Time Wings" is forthcoming.
She also performs poems based on the poetry of Rumi with musician and songwriter Michael London.
Poetry Presentations and Workshops
- ALS Association, Greater Philadelphia Chapter
- American Cancer Society Survivors Conference, Philadelphia, PA
- ECRI, Plymouth Meeting, PA
- Good Shepherd Rehabilitation Hospital, MS Wellness Program, Allentown, PA
- Indian Valley Women's Business Club
- Institute for Poetic Medicine: annual writing and wilderness retreat in Canyon de Chelley, AZ
- Lansdale Women's Club, Lansdale, PA
- Lehigh Valley Hospital
- Living Room Yoga, Emmaus, PA
- Margaret Roper Forum, Villanova, PA
- Main Line Unitarian Church, Devon, PA
- National Association for Poetry Therapy Conferences
- Organizational Business Teachers’ Conferences
- Pennsylvania Clubhouses: Philadelphia, Upper Darby, Sellersville, Chester, Lehigh Valley
- Philadelphia Folksong Society
- The Philadelphia Area Clubhouse Recovery Conference
- Poetry Out Loud National Recitation Contest
- Unitarian Church of the Lehigh Valley, Bethlehem, PA
- Unitarian Church of Berks County, Reading, PA
- Unity of the Lehigh Valley, Emmaus, PA
- The Wellness Community of the Lehigh Valley
- The Wellness Community of Philadelphia
- Wharton School, University of PA
- Wordsworth Center Intensive for Poetry Therapists, Washington DC
IceHouse Tonite! Series in Bethlehem PA
Produced two multi media shows Broken Open, Breaking Free & Whole Heart Home, a benefit for The Lodge in Bethlehem, PA
Libraries, Bookstores and Arts Centers:
- Haverford Public Library, Northeast Regional Library; Indian Valley Public Library
- Robin’s Bookstore, Borders; Barnes & Noble
- Manayunk Arts Center (special readings: “Recovering Catholics”; Poetry and Healing),
- Main Line Art Center, The Philadelphia Meditation Center, Touchstone Theater, Goggleworks (Berks Bards-Reading, PA), Emmaus Arts Commission Dedication, Greenshire Arts Consortium
Other: Delaware County Women’s Prison, Main Line Unitarian Church, College of Physicians, Mermaid Inn, One Thousand Poets for Change
Publications and Awards
Poems from the Playground of Risk; Pudding House Press, c2004
Poetry as a Tool for Recovery: An Easy-to-Use Guide in Eight Sessions; Institute for Poetic Medicine, c2014
Allen Ginsberg Poetry Award: Honorable Mention
The Mad Poets Review
Paterson Literary Review
Spiritual Directors International Newsletter: Honorable Mention
Schuylkill Valley Journal
Clay on Main, Oley, PA: Two poems selected on theme of “home” for a poetry mural exhibit
and included in bilingual anthology of English and Pennsylvania Dutch German.